Subscribe to the RSS feed and follow me on Twitter

The Death Threats Continue

Death_Threats.jpg
No big surprise, I have a unique name: Michael Geoghegan (MG). Given proper spelling, I am the #1 Google result. However, it turns out there is another popular MG, he is CEO of HSBC, one of the world’s largest banking companies. He has an entire P.R. department at his disposal, but little old me is still the #1 organic search result. Apparently HSBC is not good about allowing consumer feedback. I on the other hand, am accessible which means I get much of the venom aimed at HSBC via email and phone calls including the monthly death threat.

Here is today’s winner:

CADCYG@Gmail.com
BILL wrote:
F**K OFF YOU BASTARD, YOU TRY TO SUE ME THROUGH YOUR ASSH*LE COMPANY OF HBSC AGAIN I WILL PERSONALLY HUNT YOU DOWN AND MAKE DAMN SURE YOU CAN’T RIDE ANY OF YOUR SH*T AGAIN. F**K OFF AND LEAVE ME ALONE. YOU HAVE THE WORST HISTORY OF ANY CREDIT CARD THAT HAS EVER BEEN PRODUCED AND I KNOW HOW TO FIND YOU IF I HAVE TOO
Website: tanni.com
IP: 72.172.21.234

Bill is obviously an intelligent guy as he is being sued over credit card debt, I’m sure because he has paid his bills in full. He also got the company name wrong: it is HSBC. He is so smart, he has found the wrong guy. Nice going Bill!

Even with all I’ve seen as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff, I’m still shocked at how seemingly normal people react when they are under pressure. I wonder if Bill realizes he has threatened the life of a Law Enforcement Officer? We also know how to find people Bill. I’ve emailed him and am curious as to his response.

I wonder if HSBC collects these?

UPDATE: Bill sent along a response which I have added to the comments here.

11 Responses to “The Death Threats Continue”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 Tim Bourquin Jul 14th, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I can think of a whole bunch of good state and federal laws this email breaks.

What a moron.

2. Gravatar Icon 2 Elisabeth McLaury Lewin Jul 14th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Wow, what a quality dude.

You’re right, he probably has good reason to be furious, or panicked, or whatever, with HSBC and the *other* Michael Geoghegan. But it amazes me how people (even level-headed, not furious) people pay no attention to the obvious.

When I’m not doing things related to podcasting, I work as a website developer, consultant, tech writer and all-around nerdy-nerd. I do that under the name of The Lewin Group, and have done that for over ten years. As it turns out, there is another (well-known) Lewin Group, which does health care policy research. There’s no overlap between the two companies, other than the name.

You would be amazed, though, to learn just how many people type The Lewin Group into a search engine and randomly dial the phone number on my home page. If someone looked at the page for five seconds, they’d see that it has *nothing* to do with health care policy research. Yet I get (at the least) several calls every month, from media outlets you would recognize. They ask for my opinion on different issues surrounding health care, and health insurance. I offer my (uninformed) opinion, but point out that I’m not the Lewin Group they’re looking for.

I guess I should be grateful that my name-doppelganger doesn’t directly have the power to ruin people’s lives, as yours does.

But I do wish that folks wouldn’t be so stupid.

Perhaps you can find the other Michael G’s contact info, and forward those emails to his attention. Yikes.

3. Gravatar Icon 3 Michael Jul 14th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Elisabeth,

You are the “Lewin Group!” It is the lazy entitled feeling reporter – been down that road – that hasn’t figured it out. I say you espouse your health care policy thoughts. What is their defense? We were so lazy and dumb we called the wrong folks?

4. Gravatar Icon 4 Bill Jul 16th, 2009 at 11:54 am

That is so sad they targeted you. Your right, your name is the first on the google list that comes with this company or credit card company. To prove my case here it is with this name typed in . It is under the third listing as images. You don’t have a picture of yourself, and there is no way to understand (unless taking the time to read) your entire blog. Blogs as you know are free to be written by the individual at their leisure and content without any descripencies to fact or fiction. I am sure you are aware that this company is the biggest name mentioned on ripoffreports.com rip off report As for me they are suing me because my 7 years is up in a month. All because I did pay them off and they refused to settle with me on the current dept.

Yes I was mad, Yes I have been threatened by them and yes there is no way to contact this owner or his company without some kind of filteration system. So with all this said I do apologize, and have no personal contentments against you or the name you bear. If you are a fair man you will post this under the first statement.

5. Gravatar Icon 5 Bill You're Still an Idiot Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Bill,

That’s still no excuse for sending a threatening email which constitutes a threat of death. You broke the law and whether you are are angry or not, you can be arrested for it.

Hopefully you’ll fly off the handle again at some point and will be held accountable for your actions.

You obviously have mental stability issues that need to be addressed.

Go climb back under the rock from which you came.

6. Gravatar Icon 6 Bill Schoenfelder Jul 28th, 2009 at 3:38 am

arrest me then. Prove I broke the law. Your not worth my time to respond to such simple minded followers and readers of your tiny unnoticed blog. Your only on the search engine because of some Jerk who owns a bad rated credit card company and nothing more. For People like you the saying is true. Bad publicity is the best publicity.

7. Gravatar Icon 7 Tim Bourquin Jul 28th, 2009 at 8:36 am

But you did respond, Bill. And let me give you a little Economics 101. The Michael Geoghegan you are in a tizzy about doesn’t “own” the company. He’s the CEO. There’s this little thing called a stock exchange where companies, owned by SHAREHOLDERS, are traded.

And how about this Bill. If you have any retirement accounts, money market funds, or mutual funds, you probably own a piece of HSBC yourself! How ironic is that?

Also, please consider taking a class in grammar. Your arguments will come across much more clearly when you form proper sentences with correct capitalization.

8. Gravatar Icon 8 Bill Schoenfelder Jul 28th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Listen here you stupid low life punk. Who hides behind a keyboard and is probably some over weight low life that hasn’t seen the light of day. Yes you I am speaking too. Call me and settle this like a man if you have the “balls” to do so instead of slinging your crap from your pathetic little existence you call a life on your home built laptop. Try to land a lawsuit me. This is my last reply……………………………!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    413-382-7070.

9. Gravatar Icon 9 Jeff Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Gee Bill I Googled your number and a bunch of your friends have setup a website dedicated to you.

How about your real number Bill? Who’s hiding now dumbfuck?

10. Gravatar Icon 10 Sarah Richtling Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Uhh Bill, you ain’t going to win this one. So just stop embarrassing yourself with your lame comments and go back to Crazy Town. Your mother misses you.

Sarah

11. Gravatar Icon 11 Ample May 27th, 2010 at 5:19 am

The best way to complaint is to direct the email to HSBC’s corporate website.

These mistake is partly due to google’s search quality, a case of mistake online identity.

Comments are currently closed.

Recent Posts

Monthly Archives

Categories

About

Michael W. Geoghegan is founder and CEO of GigaVox Media, a production, consulting and technology company focused on audio/video new media.

As a pioneer of podcasting, Michael created some of the first corporate podcasts, including efforts by Disney. Michael is also creator of the 2008 James Beard Award winning "GrapeRadio" and "Reel Reviews: Films Worth Watching". He is editor-in-chief of the Podcast Academy™ book series and co-author of Podcast Solutions: The Complete Guide to Podcasting.

Michael speaks frequently on podcasting's impact on new media and its corporate applications and is often quoted by the media including in The New York Times, USA Today, CNN and Wired Magazine.