Subscribe to the RSS feed and follow me on Twitter

Hunter S. Thompson – Need the Shirt

Hunter_small.jpgI have been a life long fan of Hunter S. Thompson. After the success of my last call for help, once again, I am reaching out to my readers. For years I have been looking for a rather iconic shirt that Hunter S. Thompson had – pictured here on the cover of this biography by E. Jean Carroll (click for larger image). Does anyone know where you can get this shirt/jacket? I guess you’d describe it as red, khaki, mustard, green and blue corduroy. I assume some small specialty hunting shop somewhere sells it, but I have yet to find it. If I can buy it or have it made – either way, I am committed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: – Thanks for the emails. So far, it looks like no one knows where you can get this shirt/jacket. I’ll probably have to have it custom made. I am working on seeing if I can contact the costume designer from the film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas; they reproduced the shirt for some scenes at the Polo Lounge when Johhny Depp played Hunter. I assume they used the original as source material. Yes, I can be a bit obsessive. While I am at it, anyone else want one?

62 Responses to “Hunter S. Thompson – Need the Shirt”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 Mike Lloyd Jan 8th, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Any luck cause I want the same shirt/jacket!!!!!

2. Gravatar Icon 2 Michael Jan 10th, 2008 at 7:33 am

Still working on it… I’ll post an update when I make some progress.

3. Gravatar Icon 3 Adam Jan 13th, 2008 at 6:22 pm

It’s a jacket that was made by Abercrombie & Fitch. The only place that I have ever seen it for sale was on ebay about a year ago. It was priced at over $600. Obviously, it is a very rare jacket.

Good Luck!

4. Gravatar Icon 4 Martin Jan 15th, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Keep me updated, I have been looking for this for years with no avail. Johnny Depp makes a big deal about keeping the screen used one, according to the DVD commentary, so we may have competition! LOL

5. Gravatar Icon 5 Gonz O'Lager Jan 17th, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I think I recall somewhere that it was an LL Bean jacket. Heck, if you go there, you can find quite a number of Hunter-esque jackets. No multi-colored ones, I’m afraid. But then, why would you want that? You can’t imitate the Man. It’s impossible. We are merely his adherents and his preachers. I wish you luck but you’d be better off creating your own style. By the by, I read that E. Jean Carroll biog years ago. The only thing I can remember is her using the term “bubbies”.

6. Gravatar Icon 6 Sarah Feb 7th, 2008 at 2:57 pm

i want a jacket like it too. just because i love hunter and i love that jacket.

7. Gravatar Icon 7 savage henry Feb 20th, 2008 at 11:30 am

The jacket in the movie is the actual one owned by Thompson, as far as i understand. Johnny Depp did some method-acting during the shoot and borrowed Thompsons clothes and ID and passed himself off as the Dr. around LA, evidently with some success

8. Gravatar Icon 8 jas Mar 4th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

i think its also referred to as a chukar jacket in some circles.Checked them out but theres no coloured ones.

9. Gravatar Icon 9 applesteam Mar 6th, 2008 at 3:10 pm

The jacket in the movie is a replica that was made for depp. Hunter let him borrow a lot of clothes, but this jacket was so special to him he wouldn’t let the origional one be used in the film.

10. Gravatar Icon 10 Heather Jun 18th, 2008 at 3:59 pm

I MUST HAVE THIS JACKET!!! I bought a khaki colored corduroy jacket that looks kind of similar on eBay. I just need to sew on the patches!! I wish there was a pattern out there for this!! I’m trying to draw an outline of it right now. If anyone else has a pattern drawn I would be so happy if you shared it with me!

11. Gravatar Icon 11 Silver Dancing Girl Jun 19th, 2008 at 3:37 pm

My husband has wanted this jacket forever. I recently learned to sew so now I’m going to make him one. He had an old khaki barn jacket that has a very similar shape. Much easier than starting from scratch. I bought fabric in the 4 colors and am sewing on patches to make it look like Hunter’s.

Heather–Both the front and back are divided in 5 wide stripes. Measure the length of your jacket and divide by 5. The front goes red, khaki, blue, yellow, khaki. The back goes yellow, green, yellow, khaki, yellow. There’s also a yellow and green belt type thing in the back that I will have to make because my husband’s jacket doesn’t have one. I haven’t gotten to the sleeves and pockets yet. That will probably be harder. Will let you know how it goes. Very excited to finally do this…

12. Gravatar Icon 12 Paul Jul 8th, 2008 at 4:57 pm

I had a replica jacket made a few years ago, when I portrayed Hunter for Halloween. A few of the colors weren’t exact, but it came out really good. But I would like to get an authentic jacket. It’s tough to get one good shot of the entire jacket in the movie. When Duke gets pulled over you get a really good shot of the jacket. In the book “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,” it says it is a bird hunting jacket, and in the extras Hunter says the jacket is thirty years old. So it would be from the late 60′s. Oh and Silver Dancing Girl, there are 8 colors on the jacket, not 4. Red, a mustard yellow, dark green, a limish green, some weird blue, light khaki, dark khaki, and another color I haven’t been able to notice yet. Also the jacket seems to be made of a corduroy. So if anybody out there has any more info or decides to start a small business replicating this jacket please let me know. My myspace page is Paul Castro, Swansea, MA 02777. Check out the jacket I had made. Let me know what you think.

13. Gravatar Icon 13 Cesar Jul 16th, 2008 at 8:58 pm

I made my own jacket a few years ago. It wasn’t that hard, and I think I came pretty close. Here is the link:

14. Gravatar Icon 14 Rico Jul 21st, 2008 at 11:21 am

Hey Cesar,

Want to sell it?

Hit me back – ranger_rick2006 at yahoo dot com!

~R

15. Gravatar Icon 15 Mike Medeiros Aug 3rd, 2008 at 11:10 am

Hey Paul Castro I searched for your My Space page but nothing popped up under the info you gave. I’d love to see the jacket. I live in Fall River. My My Space page is my myspace.com/mikemedeiros (original I know)and if you check my friends there’s a guy Jay that lives in Swansea who is also a huge HST fan.

16. Gravatar Icon 16 Mike Medeiros Aug 3rd, 2008 at 11:13 am

Hey Cesar,
    Awsome job with the jacket. Did you actually make it or did you have it made ? Is there some kind of pattern you found to follow ? What kind of material is it and I’m also in line for a medium when you go into production. mike.medeiros@comcast.net

17. Gravatar Icon 17 Mike Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:33 am

I also made the jacket but its not done yet. I still have to finish the sleeves and the back. Heres the link http://www.hunterthompsonfilms.com/gonzo_board/viewtopic.php?t=420

18. Gravatar Icon 18 Mike Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:29 pm

someone should really start making a reproduction of this jacket. I found a jacket that has a close design including the bi-swing back if you look at the alternative view on this page

19. Gravatar Icon 19 Cesar Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Hey everyone thanks for the compliments on the jacket. I actually did make it. I should say that I don’t have any real experience sewing so it should be fairly easy for anyone that wants to do it. The pattern I followed is basically from the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas movie. I also used the picture from above, but the photo is inverted. (so just be aware) As far as the jacket it was 50 cents at a goodwill, (Hap brand..I think its a knock off of the “Gap”) its a basic hunting jacket, it gets covered with the different patchworks anyways so unless you want a 100% authentic jacket then the jacket that Mike put up looks pretty close. I bought the thickest grade of cotton for the jacket patches. And really that was it. It took about two days to do. Here’s an additional picture I found
    If you have any questions
    gobeatnik@gmail.com

20. Gravatar Icon 20 Dukey Aug 16th, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Any updates on this Michael?

21. Gravatar Icon 21 garmonbozia Oct 11th, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Just finished putting together a jacket for this Halloween. I’m not so deft at sewing so I glued on the fabric. What do you guys think?

22. Gravatar Icon 22 garmonbozia Oct 11th, 2008 at 4:23 pm

[img]http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/1284/gonzodd7.jpg[/img]

23. Gravatar Icon 23 Mike Oct 12th, 2008 at 10:13 am

Good Job man!
    You even got a leather cuff
    Is that from mataras design?

24. Gravatar Icon 24 garmonbozia Oct 12th, 2008 at 5:17 pm

I got the pattern here http://www.specsappeal.net/assets_c/2008/08/hstjacketattempt10qq5-thumb-600×324.jpg , but didn’t follow it exactly cos there was only one HST.

25. Gravatar Icon 25 Michael Oct 12th, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Garmonbozia,

Great info and link! I still have all my original screenshots from “Breakfast With Hunter” and “Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas.” I admit to having fallen off the wagon regarding my pursuit of this jacket, but the fact that so many people are actively involved has re-energized my efforts! I’m getting a true to form original copy made! Mark my words. Thanks again for everyone’s help. I had no idea so many were interested.

26. Gravatar Icon 26 Mike Oct 14th, 2008 at 1:05 pm

I am looking forward to see it when its done!

27. Gravatar Icon 27 Michael Oct 27th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

I found a costume maker who says he is up to the task. (Referred by a friend who has been satisfied with this guy’s work.) I let him know I am looking for a replica that can be worn like any other jacket – not a one time costume.

He said I need to wait until after Halloween then we are ready to rock-n-roll.

28. Gravatar Icon 28 garmonbozia Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:35 am
  29. Gravatar Icon 29 Mike Nov 22nd, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Have they started to make it yet Michael? Here is one on ebay

Its one made by llbean. It looks good but its not exactly like Hunters. it doesnt have a bi swing back. His was deffinetly made by Abercrombie and Fitch. Both companies must have made a similar jacket. I bought the same exact abercrombie hunting jacket with the bi swing back. It just doesnt have the patches on it. Abercrombie must have made them with patches and without.

30. Gravatar Icon 30 steve-o Dec 18th, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Any luck Michael. Need to get the real deal going. or close to. too many fans and want to pay respect buy wearing a piece of hunter in a way. “If anything’s worth doing, Its worth doing right”

31. Gravatar Icon 31 steve-o Dec 18th, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Any luck Michael. Need to get the real deal going. or close to. too many fans and want to pay respect by wearing a piece of hunter in a way. “If anything’s worth doing, Its worth doing right”

32. Gravatar Icon 32 Matt McMichael Dec 19th, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Hey all…this is a bird-hunting jacket. My brains tells me it was from LL Bean (HST had a penchant for their stuff and actually posed for an ad wearing the French sailor’s shirt they had) but I have searched high and low to no avail. Back when people weren’t such pussies they went bird hunting and many versions were made. But many searches have turned nothing up. Just face it…the same model will never again be produced, just like there will never be another Hunter.

33. Gravatar Icon 33 Mike Dec 22nd, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Hey matt, we know there will never be another produced from abercrombie or ll bean thats why we are trying to reproduce our own.

34. Gravatar Icon 34 GonzoKid Jan 10th, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Jacket is on backorder but send me a message on ebay if you’re interested in getting one. Buy the Jacket, take the ride.

35. Gravatar Icon 35 sebastian Jan 28th, 2009 at 9:02 am

@GonzoKid
    May you sell such a jacket like this one in ebay to me?
    How much would it be?
    Best greetz Sebastian

36. Gravatar Icon 36 Mike Apr 26th, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Any updates michael?

37. Gravatar Icon 37 Mark Jun 23rd, 2009 at 7:09 am

Yeah any updates, are you still working on the jacket?

38. Gravatar Icon 38 Daniel Jul 31st, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Hi just stumbled along this and hope you get your hst jacket sorted Michael, I too am an avid fan of the Dr. I was wondering If anybody knows were I could get the red & white short sleeved shirt he so famously wore.

This is a good shot… http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/images/medium/HST-8.jpg

Many thanks guys.

39. Gravatar Icon 39 brandon Aug 25th, 2009 at 7:15 pm

anyone able to get anything on this? i think i’ll try and have my grandma soe me one up, but i wish i could get a real patchwork jacket that is similar.

40. Gravatar Icon 40 Ian Oct 13th, 2009 at 11:00 am
  41. Gravatar Icon 41 Mike Oct 17th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Thats terrible it looks like a women’s jacket

42. Gravatar Icon 42 Raoul Duke Nov 8th, 2009 at 1:23 am
  43. Gravatar Icon 43 neil Dec 20th, 2009 at 4:50 am

any news on this michael? garmonbozia’s jacket look ace as you said something that could be worn any time not just as a costume. really want one of these jackets regardless of how stupid my partner thinks i might look in one. its my destiny.

44. Gravatar Icon 44 Matt McMichael Mar 15th, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I heard thru a grapevine that I promised to keep anonymous that this jacket desing may become available. When it happens, I will send the alarm to ya’ll!

45. Gravatar Icon 45 Tomas Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:59 am

And would it be available/importable to tiny Belgium? :s
    Coz I want that jacket!!!!! ;)

46. Gravatar Icon 46 Richard Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:05 am
  47. Gravatar Icon 47 Pedpna Apr 29th, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Neat! a little expensive though :\ but it looks awesome, just like the real deal

48. Gravatar Icon 48 Mike May 12th, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Way too expensive. Plus there are too many things wrong with it. Too much canvas used. The only color that was canvas was the green and the actual tan jacket. The rest was corduroy. The colors also look to cheesey.

49. Gravatar Icon 49 Z.F.Moriarty Jun 2nd, 2010 at 7:50 am

This thread is pretty helpful, Just thought i’d say thanks for the info thats been shared.

I’m just starting one as a project. My partner is a Designer and sewing machine fiend, and shes excited to help. So thats a huge goddamn bonus. If I stitched it myself, it would look like a scarecrow, i’m sure.

I’ll post some pics to let you know how its coming along guys. x

50. Gravatar Icon 50 Mark Jul 1st, 2010 at 11:27 am
  51. Gravatar Icon 51 Mike H. Jul 2nd, 2010 at 2:18 pm
  52. Gravatar Icon 52 Michael Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:46 am

Custom built? Do tell…

53. Gravatar Icon 53 Janelle Grey Jul 4th, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I do hope they have this in earth colors. :) I’m a sucker for neutrals.

54. Gravatar Icon 54 george Nov 11th, 2010 at 11:27 am

hey mike good job wana sell it?

55. Gravatar Icon 55 Mike H. Jan 26th, 2011 at 9:06 am

Never

56. Gravatar Icon 56 Raincoats For Women Mar 31st, 2011 at 1:01 am

Awesome. I really want to see it when its done.

57. Gravatar Icon 57 Chip Aug 19th, 2011 at 6:26 pm
  58. Gravatar Icon 58 Haus Dec 18th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Wow. Nice work Mike. Where were you 2 years ago? I taught myself how to sew, went to the fashion district and bought random fabrics, went through many images of the good Dr. and even tried to watch the movie, pausing it from time to time only to see that it was a knock off (although I heard Johnny depp claimed that it was the original) Ill try to post a pic

59. Gravatar Icon 59 collector Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:11 am

I have an authentic one. ..found it while cleaning out an estate and it is in perfect condition. Any interest?

60. Gravatar Icon 60 Mike Mar 13th, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Yes, I have interest How can I contact you?

61. Gravatar Icon 61 collector Mar 17th, 2012 at 7:03 pm
  62. Gravatar Icon 62 NEVADA KID Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:29 pm

magnolia to expensive ! does anyone else sell hunting jackets similar ? could always ad the patches , just don’t want to spend 500$

Comments are currently closed.