Subscribe to the RSS feed and follow me on Twitter

KI6MDR – My New Call Sign

Yaesu VX-7RAs part of my Search and Rescue training they encourage you to get a HAM amateur radio license. Last weekend at SAR (Search and Rescue) City – explained here, I took the Technician class test and am now officially licensed by the FCC as KI6MDR. The idea is, that other than regular communications, if there is a large scale disaster (I live in SoCal so read that as “earthquake”) we can all still all communicate. I picked up a nice little handheld unit, the Yaesu VX-7R to start. See where it goes from there.

7 Responses to “KI6MDR – My New Call Sign”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 Hugh, VE3AYR Oct 18th, 2007 at 11:20 am

And did you know that there is a handy little book about your new VX-7? Check it out at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/januscs/vx7/index.html

And yes, I have a conflict of interest here -I wrote the book!

The book is also available from Universal Radio: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/books/3214.html

Cheers

…Hugh, VE3AYR

2. Gravatar Icon 2 Michael Oct 18th, 2007 at 11:55 am

Thanks Hugh! I had seen that and your comment put me over the top. Just ordered it. Do you know if anyone makes a nice “cheat sheet” for the unit when you don’t want to carry the manual or your book? Something I stuff in my SAR pack.

Thanks!

3. Gravatar Icon 3 Hugh, VE3AYR Oct 18th, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Hi Michael

N6FN has a cheat sheet type product. You can see them at: http://www.niftyaccessories.com/Yaesu_cards.htm.

My Reference is pocket size, although it is abou 1/2 inch thick!

Happy hamming!

…Hugh, VE3AYR

4. Gravatar Icon 4 Michael Oct 18th, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Hugh! Grabbed the Nifty product(s) as well.

Looking forward to lots of helpful reading.

5. Gravatar Icon 5 Bill acj Oct 28th, 2007 at 9:32 am

Here are a couple of tips for new hams with VX-7R radios.

VX-7R and all Yeasu Users. Careful with the Yeasu Feature called WIRES. Read the book about this subject and know how to turn it off. Sympton, your signal is preceeded by a short beep. Turn it off by pressing the atomic bomb key at the bottom left of the keyboard.

Learn about the advantages of using Cross Band Repeat when working a shelter incident. With this setup, your hand held will work fine with very low power extending battery life past 9 hours otherwise keep an EXTRA battery fully charged each month. Rotate the batteries through the radio every month and they will last much longer.

Carry the extra cost ‘LONG’ antenna for extended range. The stock ‘short’ antenna should be used inside shelters for safety while the ‘long’ antenna is used for extended range.

Good luck …… Bill acj

6. Gravatar Icon 6 Milan Miladinovic Sep 10th, 2011 at 9:18 am

Hello
    The Diamond SRH77CA SMA antenna that was highly recommended to us by a local amateur radio store and wow did it make a world of difference. I do not yet have my HAM licence but would hope to start working on it soon. Any idea or tips on any help with the Tech test? Thanks, Milan

1. 1 KX6A at MWGblog pingback on Dec 14th, 2007 at 5:42 pm
Comments are currently closed.

Recent Posts

Monthly Archives

Categories

About

Michael W. Geoghegan is founder and CEO of GigaVox Media, a production, consulting and technology company focused on audio/video new media.

As a pioneer of podcasting, Michael created some of the first corporate podcasts, including efforts by Disney. Michael is also creator of the 2008 James Beard Award winning "GrapeRadio" and "Reel Reviews: Films Worth Watching". He is editor-in-chief of the Podcast Academy™ book series and co-author of Podcast Solutions: The Complete Guide to Podcasting.

Michael speaks frequently on podcasting's impact on new media and its corporate applications and is often quoted by the media including in The New York Times, USA Today, CNN and Wired Magazine.