Subscribe to the RSS feed and follow me on Twitter

Podcast Release – WordPress Plugin

Podcast Release

Many podcasters who conduct interviews have started using legal releases for the use of the guest’s voice and/or likeness. Obviously this is a good idea, yet it can be a bit of a hassle faxing forms back and forth. As a result, people don’t always follow through.

A few months back I was out at lunch with Denise Howell and we got to discussing how to make the release process more user friendly for podcasters. We came up with the idea of a click through acceptance form on a website. Over the holidays I had one of my blog developers put together a plugin for WordPress to accomplish this.

It is simple and straightforward. The plugin, when installed, creates a Podcast Release page on your site and provides a link to send to your interview subjects. It also sets up an admin page in your WP admin section to enter whatever release text you require. When your guest comes to the page, they enter their name, email and check that they accept the terms. The plugin then sends an email to both you and your guest with the release text, name, email and the IP address of the submitter.

The plugin is not distributed with Release Text because it should be custom tailored for your particular use case. You can cut and paste your current release text or create your own. If you need a example, the Podcast Brothers have posted a release on their site. (It is located in the section right above the shows.)

If you want to see how it works, I have a sample page setup here.

Installation instructions:

1. Download Podcast-Release Version 0.1

2. Extract the files to the wp-content/plugins/ directory. (Just copy the whole folder)

3. Activate the plugin via your WP admin console.

4. Within the WP admin console navigate to Plugins -> Podcast Release

5. Complete the required setup information, including your preferred “Release Text”.

6. You will have a new page on your site.: http://yoursite.com/podcast-release/.

Please post any feedback, comments or suggestions.

Download: Podcast-Release 0.1

Download: Podcast-Release 0.11 (For WordPress 2.1)

Disclaimer: I make no representations or warranties as to whether or not this process of release authorization is considered enforceable. Use it at your own risk.

53 Responses to “Podcast Release – WordPress Plugin”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 mike mcallen Jan 1st, 2007 at 9:49 pm

michael
    thanks for this and more importantly the effort you have put in to extend the capabilities for podcasters. (levelator)
    I suddenly see a beer in in your future from me.
    I was talking to colette vogel about a clickthrough solution for this recently—
    nice work.
    thanks
    mike

2. Gravatar Icon 2 Michael Jan 1st, 2007 at 10:32 pm

Thanks for the comments Mike. I look forward to that beer.

3. Gravatar Icon 3 Karin Hoegh Jan 2nd, 2007 at 3:39 am

Great – thank you for the release-form

I have put it up on my danish podblog

The form is a little too wide for the page, though –

and I would love to change the title of the page into something danish – wonder if that is possible…

4. Gravatar Icon 4 Michael Jan 2nd, 2007 at 9:38 am

Karin,

Good suggestion about adjusting the size of the “Legalese” box. I have added text box size management to the feature request list. In the meantime, if you want to try to change it, look at lines 74-79 in podcast-release.php. Currently the width is set t0 100% which works well on this site. You might try adjusting that on your install.

5. Gravatar Icon 5 Karin Hoegh Jan 2nd, 2007 at 1:33 pm

I love it, Michael – only I have translated it into danish, and I have not been able to change into out hi-bit letters – the template doesn´t accept html or ascii – or dies it?

6. Gravatar Icon 6 Doug Jan 8th, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Michael-

Thank you so much for this wp-plug-in. You work as allowed me to move my consent form formerly residing on my website to my blog where I post my podcasts.
    Podcast release form on the same blog as my podcasts. Brilliant! This is a must have wp plug-in for podcasters.

Thank you very much.

A loyal listener and PIT (Podcaster In Training)

7. Gravatar Icon 7 Bill Jan 29th, 2007 at 11:23 pm

I’m not sure why, but I couldn’t get the page to load. This is a new wordpress blog, I’ve installed the plug-in, and configured it. But when I go to the /podcast-release/ page, I get a 404 error. Going to the ?p=3 page works correctly, though.

Is this a known issue with WordPress 2.1 perhaps?

8. Gravatar Icon 8 Michael Jan 29th, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Thanks Bill. I’ll install on a WP 2.1 install and find out.

9. Gravatar Icon 9 Aaron Brazell Jan 31st, 2007 at 2:19 pm

The 2.1 compatibility issue as a quick fix can be solved by changing $postarr['post_status'] to published and $postarr['post_type'] to page.

10. Gravatar Icon 10 Michael Feb 6th, 2007 at 11:42 pm

I updated the plugin to version 0.11 with some fixes for WordPress 2.1.

11. Gravatar Icon 11 Mark Boudreau Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:18 am

Can this be used as well for a music podcast? For example can I customize it as a release form for bands to fill out when they submit their music? Do you have any examples of a music podcast doing this using this plugin?

Thanks.

Mark

12. Gravatar Icon 12 Brian Aug 7th, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Is there a way to install this twice? Sometimes I have more than one podcast that is ‘pending’ and my legalese has specific data. Thanks.

13. Gravatar Icon 13 Michael Aug 8th, 2007 at 9:46 am

Brian,

You might want to talk with a developer to see if it is possible to develop multiple instances of the install.

14. Gravatar Icon 14 hunk of the day Dec 19th, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Not much on my mind worth mentioning. That’s how it is. Such is life.

15. Gravatar Icon 15 Podcaster Confessions Mar 6th, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I needed a WordPress tool like this. I’m new to the whole podcasts thing and I’m working how you find people to approach who would have podcasts which I could use on my site.

If anyone knows feel free to email me..

Scott.William.Jack@gmail.com

Thanks, Scott.

16. Gravatar Icon 16 jocuri May 30th, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Keep up the good work! 10q

17. Gravatar Icon 17 Mat Jun 14th, 2008 at 12:45 am

wow..nice plugin thanks
    Cheers,
    Online Issues

18. Gravatar Icon 18 izle Jul 30th, 2008 at 12:42 am

thanx man

19. Gravatar Icon 19 Directory Submission Aug 11th, 2008 at 7:31 pm

One of the reliable ones I trust is the ManualDirectorySubmission.in from India. They seem to be much better than the rest.

20. Gravatar Icon 20 泉州生活网 Nov 18th, 2008 at 9:13 pm
  21. Gravatar Icon 21 Sandra Nov 28th, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I just signed up for WordPress.com within the past week….am I correct in assuming that I would install WP 2.1? Does it matter that I have a Mac?

Thanks,
    Sandra

22. Gravatar Icon 22 Directory Submitter Feb 27th, 2009 at 4:45 am

Thanks for taking the time to develop this plugin. It is very useful for my needs and without doubt one of the better Podcast tools out there.

23. Gravatar Icon 23 Mira Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Is there way to install this twice? Sometimes I have more than one podcast that is ‘pending’ and my legalese has specific data. Thanks.

24. Gravatar Icon 24 Michael Mar 30th, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Not sure. My suggestion, do what I did. Hire a developer and see if they can make it happen. Might be as simple as changing a few parameters and naming conventions. Should be easy. You can use our source code as a base, but if you are successful please donate it back and let us all know.

25. Gravatar Icon 25 星际争霸2资料站 Apr 7th, 2009 at 1:01 am

顶~~~~我叫星际争霸2资料站,希望能交个朋友哈!

26. Gravatar Icon 26 天龙八部资料站 Apr 7th, 2009 at 5:43 am
  27. Gravatar Icon 27 sasha854 Apr 19th, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Побольше б таких штук

28. Gravatar Icon 28 Best WP Plugins Feb 22nd, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Your blog is amazing, i first landed to another post but then get interested and thought, i will just look a little more arround to see what else i can find out about best plugins arround.

29. Gravatar Icon 29 Jocuri online Aug 9th, 2010 at 5:40 am

Nice plugin thanks man!

30. Gravatar Icon 30 Desene online Sep 4th, 2010 at 2:28 am

Thank you very much Great post…thanks for share this

31. Gravatar Icon 31 how to generate qr codes Sep 11th, 2011 at 2:09 am

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

1. 1 Podcast Free America Blog trackback on Jan 1st, 2007 at 5:29 pm
  2. 2 Weblog Tools Collection » Blog Archive » WP Plugin: Podcast Release pingback on Jan 1st, 2007 at 6:59 pm
  3. 3 Podcasting Tricks - Podcasting How-To Site pingback on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 3:53 am
  4. 4 Karin Høgh blogger om podcasting pingback on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 5:16 am
  5. 5 stikkit import : beingserved.org pingback on Jan 7th, 2007 at 1:32 pm
  6. 6 The WordPress Community · Episode 18: Habari, WordPress 2.0.6 released, WordPress 2.1 enters Beta pingback on Jan 18th, 2007 at 1:49 pm
  7. 7 WordPress Wednesday: WordPress 2.1 and More at The Blog Herald pingback on Jan 23rd, 2007 at 10:08 pm
  8. 8 Podcasting News » Wordpress Plugin Helps Podcasters Get Legal Release pingback on Jan 28th, 2007 at 6:25 pm
  9. 9 links for 2007-01-30 | BrandBrains pingback on Jan 29th, 2007 at 4:17 pm
  10. 10 Podcast Academy #5 Links at MWGblog pingback on Feb 16th, 2007 at 2:35 pm
  11. 11 What I’ve been surfing for 5th March 2007 pingback on Mar 5th, 2007 at 4:34 pm
  12. 12 Prueba at Karen Coindreau pingback on Apr 27th, 2007 at 1:43 pm
  13. 13 Northwestern Presentation Links at MWGblog pingback on May 16th, 2007 at 9:45 pm
  14. 14 A Round-Up of Popular Wordpress Plugins | The NEW breed of Fitness Professional - Personal Trainers Online pingback on Jun 11th, 2007 at 5:38 am
  15. 15 Rules For The Revolution: The Podcast » Episode 016: Rights of Publicity, Privacy (Part II) pingback on Jul 3rd, 2007 at 8:36 am
  16. 16 I Should Be Writing » Blog Archive » ISBW #66 - Colette Vogele Interview pingback on Sep 11th, 2007 at 9:28 pm
  17. 17 WP-SuperBlog.com » Blog Archive » More Wordpress Blog Resources pingback on Jan 20th, 2008 at 1:55 am
  18. 18 And He Blogs » links for 2008-02-09 pingback on Feb 9th, 2008 at 10:23 am
  19. 19 Wp Article Automation trackback on May 28th, 2010 at 8:35 pm
  20. 20 WP For Internet Marketers » Creation pingback on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:33 pm
  21. 21 Wp Article Automation trackback on Sep 14th, 2010 at 9:16 am
  22. 22 Michael McDonald Meets Newcomer Alex Soto at UFC 139 | Ultimate Fighting pingback on Nov 9th, 2011 at 6:07 pm
Comments are currently closed.