Subscribe to the RSS feed and follow me on Twitter

MommyCast Splits from PodShow

MommyCastMommyCast, which PodShow once dubbed a “premier podcast” on its network, has parted ways with the company after only a year.

In doing some research for a presentation on podcast monetization I decided to include content on MommyCast and their reported $100,000 to $200,000 Dixie sponsorship deal. When looking at their site, I noticed I couldn’t find a mention of PodShow anywhere. I quickly checked on the PodShow network and noticed that their MommyCast content was ancient. I sent off a quick email to the producers of MommyCast with my observations and asked if something had happened. The email back said:

With respect to any announcement regarding Podshow: we have concluded our relationship with them, and wish them only the best.

Interesting.

Update: To ensure there is no mischaracterization, I received a very cordial and friendly email in response from MommyCast. The quote above was their statement regarding my question about the relationship with PodShow.

12 Responses to “MommyCast Splits from PodShow”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 Tim Oct 14th, 2006 at 9:31 am

I guess hanging out with all the cool people in podcasting is not that great after-all? What’s really interesting is how things with PodShow this year are a lot like they were this time last year. I guess having those ad agency relationships is not the key to podcast monetization? Interesting times, indeed.

2. Gravatar Icon 2 Scott Bourne Oct 15th, 2006 at 3:51 am

Perhaps the Mommy’s weren’t all that impressed with Adam’s Hummer?

3. Gravatar Icon 3 Mark - tartanpodcast.com Oct 16th, 2006 at 4:29 am

I was in the Podshow suite in the Sheraton last November when the finishing touches to the Mommycast/Dixie sponsorship were being applied.

I was worried (at the time I was a Podshow podcast producer) to note that, while the deal was financially healthy and of an amount that could faciliate quitting the day job (for a while), it was clear that it was the Mommycasters themselves (and by that I mean one of the husbands, name escapes me) that had done all of the brokering, or spadework. And that at anytime, despite all their hard work, Podshow (and by that I mean Ron Bloom; he was on the other end of the phone call I witnessed) could have pulled the plug (and by that I mean ‘blown it’) on the deal.

A reasonable person may conclude that if you’d done most of the donkey work in putting together an ad deal for your podcast you’d probably be loathed to give the lion’s share to Podshow for merely hosting your mp3 files. That same reasonable person would perhaps conclude that leaving Podshow within the year would be to your advantage, at least financially.

4. Gravatar Icon 4 Kevin Crossman Oct 16th, 2006 at 1:55 pm

Michael, have you considered a career in investigative journalism? Thanks again for noting a high-profile event in the podcasting world by stating things factually and without hyperbole.

5. Gravatar Icon 5 P.W. Fenton Oct 29th, 2006 at 3:40 pm

My friend Mark Hunter said “A reasonable person may conclude that if you’d done most of the donkey work in putting together an ad deal for your podcast you’d probably be loathed to give the lion’s share to Podshow for merely hosting your mp3 files.”

Mark, I’m a little surprised by your characterization. They certainly DIDN’T give away the ad revenue they already had obtained for themselves, and even the worst Podshow contract doesn’t take the “lions share” of a podcaster’s revenue for “merely hosting their mp3 files”.

You may have personally suffered indignant treatment by people at Podshow (and I believe that to be true) but you are now misrepresenting them in this matter.

1. 1 The Podshow betting pool/kinda-dead pool at Eric Rice pingback on Oct 14th, 2006 at 12:06 pm
  2. 2 Evil Genius Chronicles » Eric Rice on Podshow pingback on Oct 15th, 2006 at 9:36 am
  3. 3 Pickle’s Podcast News » MommyCast not sexy enough for Podshow? pingback on Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:24 pm
  4. 4 PodCheck Review » Blog Archive » MommyCast leaves Podshow despite Big Black Limo pingback on Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:33 pm
  5. 5 » Blog Archive » Congrat to Mommycast - they’ve quit Podshow pingback on Oct 16th, 2006 at 4:40 am
  6. 6 ..::timeshifted.org::.. » Blog Archive » Mommies bail or Podshow dead pool pingback on Oct 17th, 2006 at 4:36 am
  7. 7 Podonomics » Blog Archive » Top 10 Savvy Women in Podcasting, MommyCast pingback on Dec 3rd, 2006 at 10:15 pm
Comments are currently closed.

Recent Posts

Monthly Archives

Categories

About

Michael W. Geoghegan is founder and CEO of GigaVox Media, a production, consulting and technology company focused on audio/video new media.

As a pioneer of podcasting, Michael created some of the first corporate podcasts, including efforts by Disney. Michael is also creator of the 2008 James Beard Award winning "GrapeRadio" and "Reel Reviews: Films Worth Watching". He is editor-in-chief of the Podcast Academy™ book series and co-author of Podcast Solutions: The Complete Guide to Podcasting.

Michael speaks frequently on podcasting's impact on new media and its corporate applications and is often quoted by the media including in The New York Times, USA Today, CNN and Wired Magazine.